Are You A Candidate For LASIK Eye Surgery?
Posted by: Mitchell Refractive Surgery & Eye Center
At Mitchell Eye Center in Boca Raton, FL, it is our goal to give every patient clear, healthy vision in a manner that fits their lifestyle and eye care needs best. To do so, Dr. Mitchell offers a number of procedures like LASIK eye surgery, cataract surgery, and treatments for different eye conditions. For some patients, it is their goal to be free of glasses and contact lenses and therefore opt to undergo LASIK eye surgery. Dr. Mitchell is a leading expert in LASIK eye surgery in Boca Raton and will ensure your eyes are taken care of! What are you waiting for? Learn if you’re a candidate for LASIK today!
Criteria For LASIK Eye Surgery in Boca Raton, FL
Although our eye care professionals are experts in their field, a successful LASIK eye surgery is primarily based on the patient criteria. Very specific characteristics are necessary to be a great candidate for LASIK eye surgery in Boca Raton. At Mitchell Eye Center, we look for the following:
- Healthy Eyes: Prior to LASIK eye surgery, we want to ensure that your eyes are healthy. You cannot undergo surgery if you have conjunctivitis, severe dry eye syndrome, or any type of infection or eye injury. Healthy eyes are essential to a successful LASIK surgery.
- Thick Corneas: In order to perform LASIK eye surgery on an individual, the patient needs a certain degree of thickness to their cornea. If a patient has a cornea that is either too thin or misshaped, they could experience poor results or worsen their vision further.
- Normal Pupils: You may not be a candidate for LASIK eye surgery if your pupils are too large. LASIK may cause patients with large pupils to experience glares and halos in their vision, especially when driving at night.
- Eye Prescription: Depending on your prescription and whether you are nearsighted, farsighted or have astigmatism, Dr. Mitchell will advise you if LASIK is the best option. For some very high prescriptions and refractive errors, LASIK is not recommended.
- The Right Age: Most eye doctors require LASIK eye patients to be at least 18 years old, while others require 21 years of age. Typically, there is no age limit to undergo LASIK eye surgery, however, most patients who receive LASIK past the age of 40 will need reading glasses.
- Stable Vision: Patients must have a stable prescription for at least 12 months, without any changes, in order to be eligible for LASIK eye surgery. Generally, teenagers and young adults still experience changes and therefore need to wait until their mid-to-late twenties.
- Good Overall Health: As with any medical procedure, the patient will have better results if they are in good health. Some medical conditions will interfere with the eye surgery. That’s why it’s best to check with your primary care physician and your eye doctor.
- Wait If You’re Pregnant: LASIK eye surgery is not for mothers who are pregnant or nursing, as hormonal changes can alter the shape of your cornea. Dr. Mitchell recommends waiting to undergo LASIK once you are no longer pregnant and no longer breastfeeding.
- Have Realistic Expectations: LASIK eye surgery is similar to all other medical procedures in that it may have side effects. All patients should listen to their eye doctors and fully understand the medical side effects and risks of undergoing the procedure.
Schedule Your Appointment for LASIK Eye Surgery Today!
Are you interested in LASIK eye surgery and correcting your vision? Contact Mitchell Eye Center in Boca Raton, FL today! Our professional eye staff and Dr. Mitchell will walk you through the details of the procedure and ensure all of your questions are answered. To schedule an appointment, call our Boca Raton office directly or book a visit online. We look forward to improving your vision with LASIK eye surgery!